Tuesday, May 12, 2009

how it started?

So this is the big long intro, sit down pull up a comfy chair!
Ok maybe not so bad, about 2000 or so I was told someone I knew had a child recently diagnosed with autism. I really knew nothing at the time. I decided if I was going to be around the maybe I should learn. At this time my children were already working with therapists and docs for various reasons. One had mentioned autism to me about my oldest, I shot that down so fast it was unreal! My knowledge at the time was limited, only having been around a few autistic people, and they were the low functioning. I was not willing to even think about it. (kick self now)
So I started my reading. I was sent an email describing aspergers, and it was like reading about my son! I thought " who knows us, who sat and watched and wrote?" Creepy! So I read more and more and more. I started to see my son n many things I read. I started to apply things I read that worked for autistic and aspergers children, and they worked! When he constantly asked if it was time for lunch, bout drove me crazy doing it, I bought him a watch, i wrote out our daily schedule, hung it on the wall and showed him what time we had lunch, he did not ask again, unless I change lunch and forget to tell him. Many other things happened. A few years went by, my learning, reading and applying. Still I did not talk to a doctor about my suspicions. Eventually he was weaned off meds, and doing ok with out, as long as I stuck to the routine. Eventually I did seek a doc, bring up concerns and he was diagnosed. He does see a therapist but is currently not on meds. I work hard to keep a schedule. We have white boards all over, we have chore boards up, to make sure every one knows what everyone should be doing.
At this time I have a daughter with bipolar, ocd and possible did, 2 sons aspergers, a dd with severe anxiety disorders, another son with depression and adhd, me- anxiety disorders and some physical health issues. They all keep me busy. I am not going to go into detail in one long post. I am going to tell over a few posts different things we have done, and do now that work for us. Oh ya one asperger son also has tourettes, and the other has a not yet narrowed down tic disorder.
So for now here is our intro and from here on out we will be referred to as
Nanna- bipolar, ocd, possible did
boo- aspergers, tourettes
bubba- depression, adhd
loo- anxiety disorders and depression, ocd
sir n- aspergers tic disorder
chubby- hmm just a cutie for now
baby E- adorable and at this time not dx of any kind
mom- me! anxiety disorders, fibromyalgia, arthritis, pelvic/hip issues caused by ham string issues, thyroid and adrenal
So for now soak that in and I'll slowly add. In the mean time comment, read through the links.

No comments:

Post a Comment

please share your thoughts, feelings and questions. Please keep it clean and respectful.
Requests for info on specific topics welcome!